Treatments with Jackie
Decongestive Lymphatic Therapy (DLT)
Areas of Treatment
There are four areas of treatment to be considered when assessing a client. These are:
- Manual lymph drainage (MLD)
- Compression (bandages or hosiery)
- Skin care
One, a combination, or all of the above treatments may be used depending on the stage of the lymphoedema.
Stages of Lymphoedema
Lymphoedema is normally treated in two phases;
Phase 1 – This is the intensive phase, which involves frequent treatments of MLD and compression bandaging. The sessions are daily for 2-4 weeks depending on the severity of the lymphoedema. This also includes gentle exercising and skin care.
Phase 2 – This is the maintenance phase where the frequency of treatments is reduced, varying from weekly to monthly depending on each individual. This is also combined with compression hosiery.
Other Reasons for treatment
- Reduction of fluid retention: swollen ankles (during pregnancy), puffy eyes etc.
- Pre and post cosmetic surgery. To ensure the Lymphatic system is working efficiently to encourage a faster healing process after surgery.
- Post trauma to assist in the healing process, reduce swelling, bruising and inflammation.
- MLD has a calming effect on the nervous system, which de-stresses the mind and body, promoting stress relief.
- Its decongestive effects improve conditions such as sinusitis and migraine.
- Minimises or reduces the appearance of stretch marks.
- Can help the immune system by increasing the flow of pathogens to the lymph nodes where they are neutralised.
- Deep relaxation is achieved by the gentle, soothing movements on the skin surface.
- Venous insufficiency and related conditions are improved by the effects of the massage on the circulatory system.
- Alleviates swelling and promotes the healing process after breast cancer surgery and treatment.
- Can improve digestive conditions such as constipation and IBS.
- Improves the quality of the skin by removal of toxins, allowing more nutrients to the area being treated. Skin appears brighter and fresher.
- The healing process for scars, burns and wounds is supported, reducing their appearance.
- PMS fluid retention is reduced.
- Aids chronic health related conditions such as arthritis (pain relief) and scleroderma.
- As part of a Detox treatment, to cleanse the body of waste.
Enquire Now to see how Manual Lymphatic Drainage can help you.